Law procedures



Serving Immigrants in Orange County & Los Angeles County

Adjustment of status is the legal process whereby you can apply for a green card to become a lawful permanent resident when you have already entered the U.S. as a nonimmigrant on a temporary visa. This process allows you to apply for permanent status from within the U.S. without having to return to your home country. Individuals who are outside the country must apply for a visa through a consulate in their home country.


At US Legal Group, APC, the majority of our practice focuses on immigration law. With extensive experience helping countless individuals adjust their status, our immigration attorneys in Orange are poised to offer outstanding service and effective counsel. We urge you to enlist our help to ensure that your path to permanent residency is smooth and successful.

Contact us at (714) 921-5226 for a free 30-min. initial consultation about adjusting your status today.
Our Orange immigration attorneys are ready to help guide you!

The Adjustment of Status Process

To adjust your temporary status to a permanent one, you must meet certain eligibility requirements. Also, if you are applying under a category that has an annual cap, you will need to have a visa number.


To adjust your status, you must be eligible under one of the categories that allow green cards. You can apply:

  • Through a family member

  • Through employment

  • As a special immigrant

  • As a refugee or asylee

  • As a victim of human trafficking

  • As a victim of abuse


Family-based adjustment of status is one of the most common methods. In most adjustment of status cases, either you or someone else is required to file a petition with the government. There are two categories for an adjustment of status through family. One is through an immediate family member, such as a spouse, parent, or child of a U.S. citizen. The other is through family preference categories for both U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents.

Get Capable Legal Help from US Legal Group, APC

Every case is different. To learn more about whether you may be able to adjust your status, we encourage you to discuss your situation with our Orange adjustment of status lawyers. Our firm can provide the guidance and assistance you need.

Call (714) 921-5226 to get started.